The various types of Potions.
Yes (In Cauldrons)
Potions are Items added in Update 0.12.1. They are created by combining various ingredients and Water Bottles in a Brewing Stand. When drunk or thrown, these Potions give the Player or Mobs Status Effects.
There are currently three types of Potions:
- Drinkable Potions: The Player can drink the Potion to get a status effect for a certain duration of time. It will not affect any mob/Player around the Player, and the Player will retain the empty bottle for further use.
- Splash Potions: The Player must throw the Potion, which will affect any Players/mobs within range of the splash, and the bottle will break upon hitting any mob or Block and give off particles.
- Lingering Potions: The Player must throw the Potion like a Splash Potion, which will create a "cloud" of that status effect in a 3-block radius. The cloud lasts for roughly 30 seconds. The effect will be stronger the closer the player stands to the center of the cloud.
|Water Bottle||Base for all Potions||Glass Bottle + Water -> Water Bottle|
|Awkward Potions||Base for primary Potions||Water Bottle + Nether Wart -> Awkward Potion|
|Thick Potion||Base for Potion of Weakness||Water Bottle + Glowstone Dust -> Thick Potion|
|Mundane Potion||Base for Potion of Weakness||Water Bottle + Any Ingredient -> Mundane Potion|
|Long Mundane Potion||Base for Potion of Weakness.||Water Bottle + Any Ingredient -> Mundane Potion|
Types of Potions
|Potion of Regeneration||Restores health over a period of time||Awkward Potion + Ghast Tear -> Potion of Regeneration|
|Potion of Instant Health||Instantly restores health||Awkward Potion + Glistering Melon -> Potion of Instant Health|
|Potion of Fire Resistance||Gives immunity to Fire, Blazes's ranged attack and Lava||Awkward Potion + Magma Cream -> Potion of Fire Resistance|
|Potion of Night Vision||Gives ability to see better in dark areas and underwater||Awkward Potion + Golden Carrot -> Potion of Night Vision|
|Potion of Underwater Breathing||Gives ability to breathe underwater||Awkward Potion + Pufferfish -> Potion of Underwater Breathing|
|Potion of Strength||Increases attack damage||Awkward Potion + Blaze Powder -> Potion of Strength|
|Potion of Swiftness||Increases Movement Speed||Awkward Potion + Sugar -> Potion of Swiftness|
|Potion of Poison||Degenerates health over time||Awkward Potion + Spider Eye -> Potion of Poison|
|Potion of Harming||Does instant damage||Potion of Poison + Fermented Spider Eye -> Potion of Harming|
|Potion of Weakness||Lowers attack power||Water Bottle + Fermented Spider Eye -> Potion of Weakness|
|Potion of Slowness||Lowers speed of Mob/Player||Potion Of Swiftness + Fermented Spider Eye -> Potion of Slowness|
|Potion of Leaping||Gives a jump boost of 1 1/2 Blocks and the ability to jump over fences||Awkward Potion + Rabbit's Foot -> Potion of Leaping|
|Potion of Invisibility||Grants Invisibility||Potion of Night Vision + Fermented Spider Eye -> Potion of Invisibility|
|Potion of the Turtle Master||Increases Resistance but incredibly lowers speed of Mob/Player.||Awkward Potion + Turtle Shell -> Potion of the Turtle Master|
|Bedrock Exclusive: Potion of Decay||Grants the Wither Effect||N/A|
Some items that are used to modify potions:
|Glowstone||Enhances the Potion's effects|
|Redstone||Increases duration of the Potion|
|Gunpowder||Converts a normal Potion into the splash variety|
|Fermented Spider Eye||Corrupts the Potion effects (only in certain cases)|
|Dragon's Breath||Used to convert a Splash Potion into a Lingering Potion|
- The Potion of Decay is exclusive to Minecraft.
- It is also the only potion in the game that cannot be brewed.
- Witches, which were added in Update 0.14.0, utilize Potions to attack Players and to heal themselves.
- The Glowstone Potion Modifier cancels out the Redstone Potion modifier and vice-versa.
- Potion Effects (Status Effects) were added in Update 0.11.0, but only three of them could be obtained legitimately.
- A Splash Potion of Weakness and a Golden Apple are needed in order to cure a Zombie Villager.
- Trying to put two different Potions into a Cauldron will make both Potions (including Water Bottles) disappear.
- Bug: In Update 0.14.0, if the Player switches to another potion while drinking a potion, the potion which they were drinking changes into the potion which was tapped on.
- This can be very useful for replacing unneeded Potions with useful ones.